Monday, December 8, 2008

A Die Hard Catholic

*JMJ* Today is the feast day for the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a Holy Day of Obligation! Yes, obligation! That means it is our duty as Catholics to go to Mass today. I had a choice to go either this morning or this evening with my family. I am going this evening. Sorry that I haven't written for a few days in my new blog here, My Catholic Oasis. I was contemplating where I wanted to go with this new blog. And I was waiting to see where the Holy Spirit would guide me in writing in my new blog. I'm not much into politics and I'm by no means a theologian. I try to write factual on the Catholic religion but, I'm only human and I could be wrong in the things I write. But I do write things with caution because I do want to be accurate. I'm still not sure where this blog is going but something did touch me to write about. Today I seen two people from separate families who go to my parish and they have their children enrolled also in the Chatacism program. I asked them if they were staying after Chatacism to go to mass. They both said, "For what?" I said in reply, "For the Holy Day of Obligation." They both said, "Oh no that's to late. It's a school night. We're not doing that." Well this evening would make for a long evening. The children have to go to Chatacism from 5:30-7:00 p.m. During that time parents were to go to this meeting for an explanation on the Family First work books that they use and showed us how their web page is set up and how to use that in addition to the workbook. Well I noticed that not all parents went to that. Anyway mass would follow at 7:00 p.m. for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception and run to 8:00 p.m. Let's just start off by saying that I am not trying to be judgemental here. But my son is going to second grade Chatacism along with those other children who are also in the second grade. People, they will be receiving there First Holy Communion in the spring! And they are not going to take their children to mass?!? Oh my gosh! I don't want to hear of excuses, "Well it's to late. I need to get my children to bed early, it's a school night." I just couldn't believe what I was hearing. To me there is absolutely no excuse why those parents did not take their children to mass. I'm not going to go on and on about my day and tell you how busy I was detail for detail. But my day started at 4:00 a.m. Yes, I am a stay at home mom, but I tell you, my feet aren't up on the footstool eating bon-bons, watching soaps operas. My children and I were tired to. My second grader goes to bed at 8:00 p.m. also. In fact, I made my teenage son tag along with me last night because I wouldn't have time to run home to pick him back up for mass. So we were in church for three hours last night! When I lay my tired head down at night, exhausted or not, I know I did what God wanted me to do that day. I don't care if I had to stay at the church all day with meetings or whatever else, I would not ever let my children miss mass. To me there is absolutely no excuse for it. Especially lets not forget that it's a mortal sin to miss mass. Yes a mortal sin. That means you must go to confession before you can receive the Eucharist again. I am not a cradle Catholic. It will be ten years in the spring that I have been initiated into the Catholic church through the R.C.I.A. program. I'm I a die hard Catholic? I don't know. All I know for sure is that when I became Catholic, I didn't just do it for something to do. I didn't take it lightly. It wasn't just something to do at the time. I try my best to follow the Catholic faith to the best of my ability. I know that I will be judged on that one day. I just know it. I can feel it. I know that my life is no dress rehearsal. That this is it, playing out before my eyes. Well, now that I got that off of my chest! I didn't mean to be harsh if it came across like such. It's just that I'm so passionate about my faith and do take it very seriously. I guess I am a die hard Catholic! And proud of it!

3 comments:

Aayden and Aarons Mommy said...

you really are an inspiration. I think you'll become a Saint one day. I'm serious. =)

Anne said...

Aayden's Mommy, your a sweetheart. Thanks for the kind words. :-)

Sweetie said...

As one diehard Catholic to another, I really enjoyed your post.
Sweetie