Thursday, January 8, 2009

Goodbye To Detroit's Archbishop

*JMJ* Soon us Detroiter's will be saying goodbye to our Archbishop Cardinal Adam Maida. He's retiring after being the Archbishop here in Detroit, Michigan for the past 18 years. He was one of the Archbishops to take place in voting for a new Pope, when Pope John Paul ll died. I was hoping that he would be elected to be the new Pope. Our Pope now, Pope Benedict xvi announced that our new Archbishop, Allen H. Vigneron is a native from Michigan. And his parents reside here also.
I have a funny little story I'd like to share with you about Archbishop Cardinal Maida. Well it's more about myself though. When I was going through the R.C.I.A. process to become Catholic, you have to go to what's called the Rite of Election at the head of your Archdiocese, toward the end of the program. The head of your Archdiocese is called the Mother church that looks after the little parishes in your area. The name of Detroit's Mother church is Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament. So during the Rite of Election, it wasn't just my R.C.I.A. group from my parish there at the cathedral. There were many R.C.I.A. groups from all over my archdiocese there. During the Rite of Election, all the R.C.I.A. teachers will come forward and say the names of the people who are in their R.C.I.A. program. So it took awhile because there were so many names to be announced. But how exciting it was when I heard my name being said through the Mother church. Our names were being enrolled for the Easter Vigil Rite. Just thinking back on that time brings back such exciting memories.
So anyway I was sitting pretty close to the isle inside a pew. There were probably two people on my side. Before I go on any further, just keep in mind that I didn't know to much about the Catholic religion yet. I was still learning.
Well when I seen this priest (Archbishop Cardinal Maida) coming down the isle, I was just so excited! I mean he had on that hat (not sure of the name) and was holding that staff (sorry not sure what that's called either). He was shaking some peoples hands as he was walking down the isle. As he came closer to my pew, I leaned out and stuck my hand out for him to shake it. The two people next to me were probably like, "What's this ladies problem?" I was just so excited when Archbishop Cardinal Maida shook my hand. He looked very impressive decked out with everything. Meaning that fancy hat, the vestments, and the staff and all of that. I just got so caught up in the moment to say the least! Archbishop Cardinal Maida could see the enthusiasm on my face! What he was probably thinking was, "Lady, I'm not the Pope!" I'm laughing right now I write this. It was just so funny. I rushed home to tell my mother and father-in-law that I got to shake Archbishop Cardinal Maida's hand.
I will miss Archbishop Cardinal Maida though. They no longer will mention his name during mass. When I think of Michigan Catholic Newspaper, I will miss his editorials. I'll just miss seeing him around.
I'm praying that the Lord will continue to watch over Archbishop Cardinal Maida during this next segment of his life, as I'm sure the Lord will. We must also pray for our new Archbishop, Allen H. Vigneron as he carries out his new duties in being an Archbishop for Detroit, Michigan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will miss Cardinal Maida too. He's been such a rock here in our community.